xtava Black Magic Curl Machine Review
Editor rating: 5/5
It does not have the most features, but we love it. It has luxurious packaging and a modern-looking design. You'll trust and you'll know it not a special curler.
It has this tourmaline ceramic curl chamber which not only looks good but really heats fast without drying or damaging your hair. Because of this feature, you could make consistent, frizzless curls.
It also one of the most travel-friendly type of curler in my opinion. It is dual voltage and has a heat-resistant travel case which is unique and I don't think anything else has this feature.
It does have a learning curve and to be honest, all automatic curlers have. But once you get used to it, it is going to be the fastest tool you'll have to get your hair curled beautifully any type you want - wavy, loose, or tight.
It does the curling for you. It is automatic. Just put a section of your hair into the chamber and let the machine curl it for you. There are some tips to turn you into an expert faster just read further below into this article.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Great packaging
- Modern look
- Comes with a heat-resistant travel bag
- Universal dual voltage
- Heats up fast
- No need to use a glove because the housing of the unit does not heat up
- Tourmaline ceramic curl chamber
- Automatic curling
- Smart features
- Preset temperature
- Less chance of your hair from getting stuck
- Unwinds automatically when it senses a problem
- There's a bit of a learning curve
- Will take some time to put the right amount of hair into the opening
- Can only put 1" section of hair at a time
Overall look - Out of all the automatic curlers we've reviewed, this one has the slickest, most modernized look. One look and you'll feel confident that it utilizes advanced technology. The LCD display is easy to see and the buttons are easy to reach and press.
Healthy hair - It uses a ceramic curl chamber that heats fast and yet it does not burn or create frizzy curls.
Automatic curling - It is easy to use. With a simple press of a button, the machine will start doing its work and create consistent curls. Depending on which settings you select, it could create wavy, loose, and tight curls.
Smart features - It has several features that are very useful it will make the curling task easier and less worrisome. You don't need to be an expert to come up professional looking curls. You could hold the unit any way you want because it has a 360-degree swivel cord. It beeps to signal to prevent your hair from getting burned, to heat up your hair with just the right amount to be able to produce the kind of curl you want. Furthermore, it has a 60-minute auto shut-off feature to prevent overheating and for overall safety.
Travel-friendly - It has a unique heat resistant travel case and dual voltage (110-240V AC) which is what most travelers look for in a gadget. This unit has it.
How to curl your hair
- Comb through hair evenly.
- Section your hair, pinning the top layer in place with a clip.
- Turn on the device.
- Select your settings: Choose your temperature, set your curl timer (8, 10, and 12 seconds), and choose curl direction (left, right, or alternate).
- Thread a 1-inch section of hair through the slot and press the "turn symbol".
- Wait for the timer to beep and pull straight down to release the curl.
- Continue curling 1-inch sections, layer by layer.
- Watch read the manual and watch YouTube videos to have a better understanding on how to use the curler.
- Use small sections of hair (about the size of your index finger)
- Make sure that your hair is brushed out, flat and you don't have any other strands getting caught up into it.
- Don't start too close to your head. Stay about 1 inch away.
- Make sure your hair is tucked fully inside the barrel.
- Twist hair before inserting into curler.
- Always start from the mid-shaft, not roots or tips.
- Curl front pieces away from your face.
- Do not turn off the machine when your hair is stuck because this will prevent the curler from helping you release your hair.
- Do not switch directions as it will only wind your hair up tighter.
- Do not panic.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the temperature range?
What are the time settings?
8, 10, 12 seconds or none
How many minutes before it automatically shuts off?
Is it dual voltage?
It is universal voltage (110-240V AC)
What type of curls can it produce?
Wavy, loose, and tight curls