Sonax (230200-755) Wheel Cleaner Full Effect Review
Manufacturer of car care products since 1950, Sonax has been in the business for years. The company started in Germany, a country known for its high quality engineered products and where known car brands like Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche were made from.
There are several wheel cleaners available in the market today and we are basically trying to help customers decide what they should buy by laying out all the details about each product. Today, we are examining the Sonax (230200-755) Wheel Cleaner Full Effect.
Mild vs Potent Wheel Cleaners
Unlike Meguiar's G9524 Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner, the Sonax (230200-755) Wheel Cleaner Full Effect is a mild wheel cleaner that is safe for use on wheels with various finishes, high-end aluminum, alloys, painted, anodized and clear coated wheels. Its formulation is acid-free and pH balanced so you do not need to worry about the chemicals damaging the finish of your wheels. However, the product would require more sprays, more scrubbing and more time to remove the brake dust which would mean that a single bottle can only be used for a few washings. If you want to continue using this product, it will be too costly.
If you are play-safe kind of person who doesn't mind doing more work as long as the surface of your wheels is safe, then this is the wheel cleaner for you.
However, if you are the type of person who wants a quick striking outcome who can follow instructions thoroughly, I would recommend the Meguiar's wheel cleaner.
One special thing about the Sonax wheel cleaner though is that it is not environmentally hazardous and chemically strong compared to other wheel cleaners. The company is one of the first car care companies to use environmentally safe methods and chemicals so you can rest assured that the product will not damage our natural resources.
Please read the advantages and disadvantages below to know more on what you can expect when you use the product.
How to apply
- Use on a cool, dry wheel in a well ventilated area.
- Spray on product 6-8 inches from the wheel surface (spray barrel, caliper and tire).
- Change from green to red when product begins to work or loosen dirt and brake dust. (Exceptionally dirty wheels may require agitation.)
- Allow the product to work for up to 10 minutes. If product dries, simply re-apply. However, I highly recommend that you rinse it off before it dries on your wheel.
- Use a high-power water source and rinse from product from wheels. May re-apply if necessary.
- Dry wheel with clean towel or premium microfiber.
Advantages and disadvantages
- It can be sprayed on calipers and rotors pads.
- It doesn't do damage on wheels when left on for too long unlike other wheel cleaners.
- It is fairly mild and gentle compared to other wheel cleaners so you won't worry about the product degrading the finish on your wheels.
- It is not extremely hazardous and will not irritate your skin. However, we still recommend wearing gloves or masks.
- It is one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive in the market, but the safest.
- More brushing is required to remove hard to remove dirt and grime.
- Even though its a mild formula, it can still damage the surface of your wheels if not used properly.
- Some consumers complained about the lingering horrible smell of the product after use.
- The product would require more scrubbing, brushing, wiping and rinsing compared to Meguiar's wheel cleaner.
- You may have to use the product several times to see best results.
- The sprays are more stream-like so the coverage isn't good.
- It cannot be used on tires, only on wheels.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you spray this to remove rust?
No, the spray does not remove rust.
Is it safe to use on dipped wheels?
I would think so. The product doesn't seem to be "chemically" strong.
Can I use this on plastic dim rims?
Yes, it works great.
Can this bottle be refilled?
Yes, just twist it.
Will the red run off stain my drive way pavers?
No, just make sure you hose off your pavers after you finish with the wheels to prevent the product from drying on your pavers.
Can this be used on chrome rims?
Yes. Label states that it can be used on "steel, alloy, chrome-plated and polished wheel rims".
The product does not change it's color to red. Is it working?
If it isn't changing colors, your wheels probably has little to no brake dust but it is till cleaning other dirt.
Will these ruin my brakes?
Is it just for wheels or tires too?
It is for wheels only.
What are the ingredients of this product?
The label states: "Contains sodium mercapto-acetate"
Can this be used on tires over time?
It is used on wheels the product may get in contact with your tires without damage.
Editor rating: 3.5/5
The company has been in the business for years and I appreciate the fact that they use environmentally safe ingredients and materials but as a consumer, the quality and effectiveness of the product are more important. We all want a product that can solve our problems quickly at a reasonable price. The Sonax wheel cleaner will require several applications for best results and is a little overpriced compared to the other wheel cleaners in the market.
Other than that, there are other things that make using this product a little inconvenient such as bad spray coverage, it is for wheels only and pungent smell.
Buy or not buy: If you are a play-safe type of person who does not know or not sure about your rim type, I would go for this product. It is definitely the safest wheel cleaners out there.
But if you want quick amazing results, I would try the Meguiar's wheel and tire cleaner. Meguiar's as several different versions of wheel and tire cleaner, just make sure that your choose what is specifically designed for your rim type.