BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16V Cordless Lithium Hand Vac Review
Editor rating: 4.9/5
If you intend to use the unit for light duty vacuum only at home and in your car, this unit is more than perfect for its price. This unit is great for spot cleaning or quicker pickups because it is small, lightweight, cordless and has all its attachments built in.
Since it uses a lithium battery, it produces more powerful and consistent power compared to a regular battery. You can keep the unit charged on its charging base without destroying the battery because of its "no battery memory" feature and can hold a charge for up to 18 months.
Furthermore, the dirt bowl is translucent so you can see if it needs cleaning and if it does, the washable filter is easy to wash. For light duty use which I personally think it is designed for, I give it a 4.9 out of 5 stars.
The only reason I did not give a 5 out of 5 rating is because the unit is quite loud compared to most other similar units and it can only be charged vertically which may easily get knocked off the charging base. These are minor things, although the charging base does allow you to pick up the unit and place it back easily which is a convenient feature. But for those who have children, pets or does not have a tall shelf, having to store or charge the unit vertically is quite inconvenient.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Affordable compared to other similar units
- Easy to assemble
- Small, lightweight
- Portable, cordless, and handheld
- Filters are washable and replaceable
- Lithium battery: long battery life, produces consistent power, charges quickly, no battery memory (can charge at all times without destroying the battery), holds a charge for up to 18 months, quick charging base
- Smart charge technology - auto shuts off when charging
- Blue led light that tells you when its charging (blinking) and when it's fully charged (solid)
- Translucent bagless dirt bowl
- Cyclonic action - keeps trash away from filter to keep suction strong
- Suction is strong for a battery-powered small vacuum
- All attachments are built in: rotating nozzle, extended crevice nozzle, flip-up brush
- Only charges vertically and may easily get knocked off the charging base
- May take more time to remove pet hair from fabrics
- Louder than most other units
- Built in extension nozzle may retract if it's pushed too hard on a surface
- Needs to be emptied often because it doesn't have very large capacity
- Model #: CHV1410L
- Color: Light blue/white
- Weight: 3.8 pounds
- Dimension: 17.2 x 5.5 x 7.8in
- Nozzle opening: 1.5in x 1in
- Battery: 1 Lithium ion battery
- Volt/Watts: 16V Air Max/15.2W
- Power source: Battery
- Charging base: Flat/4 in diameter
- Built-in extension nozzle: About 5.75 inches
- Warranty: 2 years
WHAT'S IN THE BOX
- Hand vac
- Washable pre-filter
- Washable filter - VF110
- Built in crevice nozzle tool
- Built-in flip-up brush
- Charging base
- Instruction manual
The best physical attribute of this vacuum is that it is cordless, handheld, small, and lightweight but is powerful enough to handle quick pickups around your house and in your car without dragging the power cord and having to find the nearest outlet.
Most people are hesitant in actually purchasing battery-powered vacuums. But unlike the old models of Black + Deck vacuums, this unit uses Lithium batteries that provide long battery life, produces consistent power, charges quickly, no battery memory (can charge at all times without destroying the battery), holds a charge for up to 18 months and a quick charging base. With lithium batteries, the unit is a reliable and a convenient solution to the small messes around your house and in your car.
The unit also features a translucent dirt bowl that will allow you to easily check if the unit has to be emptied and a washable filter that is easy to clean to maintain unit's suction power. Furthermore, it has a "cyclonic action" that keeps trash away from the filter. All these features are in place to keep your filter clean as long as possible maintaining consistent suction power.
Unlike other vacuums, the attachments of this unit are all built in. All you need to do is use the "rotating nozzle" feature reach tight places, use the "extended crevice nozzle" to reach nooks and crannies, and the "flip-up brush" to loosen up some dirt or hair strands from carpets or any kind of fabrics where it normally sticks.
And a blue LED light indicator for you to tell if the unit is still charging (blinking) or is it fully charged (solid).
BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L In action
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the unit snap in/fit securely in the charging base?
No, it is best to place it where children or pets could not reach it.
How long will the filters last?
Booklet says filters will last 6 months.
Can the filters be replaced?
Yes, you can purchase filter replacements online.
How long can I use the vacuum after one full charge?
15-20 minutes of continuous use.
Can the battery be replaced?
How many prongs does the plug have?
Will it work on 220-240 volt?
Is this a wet vac?
How to wash the filters?
Manual says was with "warm soapy water and then air dried completely before using".